two masters

 i mentioned something about drawing and making jewelry in a previous post and how it's difficult to be equally dedicated to both... that's still true.  however, i feel i have no excuses.  there are people in this world (both) making grander pieces of art and more complex pieces of jewelry than i do... not to mention, doing more beyond that. 
 i'm not sure if i simply manage my time that poorly or if they have a lot of behind-the-scenes help that i don't, but it's probably a bit of both.  still, even on my own, and with how undesciplined my schedule may be momentarily, i'm determined to make it work.  i've kept at it slowly, but surely since last i spoke about it.  my skill as an artist is returning, even my creativity was dulled this winter.  i knew she was in there somewhere, my beloved eurydice... i just... she... mmmm:/ gettin' carried away. 

ca. mar. 2013

 i've been drawing jewelry... the pieces of jewelry i have made or will make.  concept art is something i have done in the past to help myself plan the more difficult pieces i would struggle with or for ideas i knew i wouldn't get around to executing for a while, but didn't want to forget.  this concept art was consistently pre-jewelry and rough, and rarely advanced beyond that. 
june 2016

 i suppose the difference lately is that i'm drawing the jewelry after it's made and building a work of art around it.  most artwork may be described as a sort of surrealism-fantasy work where i reassign the purpose or properties of the jewelry entirely; other works are simply a fashion illustration where the jewelry is just a different article, but still a part of dress.


A video posted by @juleemclark on


A photo posted by @juleemclark on

A video posted by @juleemclark on



A photo posted by @juleemclark on

 as an artist, my style is the one consistent element in my work.  i feel i have yet to draw and maintain an audience with the subject of my work.  like any artist (moreover, human-being) i do have views and opinions, and from time to time want very much to use my talents to make a statement, but my niche as an artist isn't naturally satiracal... i must be in a special mood.  i know that above anything else i'm wired to dole out flowery representations of what is fashionable; that is what i love.
de castile


























aquitaine
de castile

aquitaine

 furthermore, i have enrolled in a small online course to advance my technical skill as an artist as i have very little classical training.  perhaps i'm speaking for myself, but there is a ceiling for the self-taught and choosing to forego any further training will prohibit those self-taughts from achieving their full potential.  i know i have been at an impass a number of times in my career in art where a proper and thorough education might have helped me overcome problems and failures in my compositions.

 and perhaps it's that education that is part of the "behind-the-scenes" help my contemporaries have.  that education not only provides the artist' with an understanding their capabilities and how to execute them accurately, but shows them where to seek the help and guidance they will inevitably need outside themselves.  maybe i'll gain some understanding through this course or at least through the doors that i'm hoping this course and my rededication to jewelry and art will open.

 i hope i'm not expecting too much of myself (as usual), but at the same time i have noticed when i do set high standards for myself, even if i don't meet them, i still end up exceeding my expectations.  i used to be in a great place, i have since fallen and only with this new perspective from a low place i can see how promising i was.  so i'm setting the bar high; i'm committing myself to not one, but two disciplines; i'm promising to master both and beyond that;)

xoxo, 
julee

Comments

Popular Posts